5 Ways to Make Your Transmission Last a Lifetime
If you’ve ever owned a vehicle, you likely already know that its transmission is of extreme importance. And, if you’ve ever had to repair or replace one, you definitely know how costly those repairs can be.
Repairing or replacing a damaged transmission is one of the most expensive services you can encounter as a vehicle owner. When a transmission needs extensive repair services, vehicle owners often choose between repairing it or shopping for a new quality used option.
The high cost of repair services is why taking good care of your vehicle’s transmission is a really good idea. For five ways you can easily make yours last a lifetime, keep reading.
1.Follow Your Vehicle’s Recommended Transmission Maintenance Schedule
As with all essential vehicle maintenance tasks, adhering to a car’s recommended maintenance schedule – as outlined in the owner’s manual, is vital to keep a transmission in top shape. The manual is the best resource for determining your vehicle’s unique needs. It is written specifically for that vehicle and engine.
Regular Maintenance Tasks
- Check transmission fluid levels at every maintenance service.
- Inspect the clutch regularly (manual)
- Flush transmission fluid when needed.
- Replace transmission fluid as per manufacturer guidelines.
2.Know Problem Warning Signs
Taking care of engine troubles at the first sign will help save you from needing costly repairs. It will also protect your wallet from being drained by those service charges. Symptoms that may require some attention include:
- Check engine comes light is on.
- There is a burning smell while driving.
- The vehicle is leaking fluid.
- Car hesitates when accelerating.
- Gear slippage.
- Car vibrates
Manual Transmission Warning Signs
5-speed vehicles have a few additional warning signs to be aware of. These are typically related to the clutch and can include:
- Car shakes when shifting gears.
- Gears grind while shifting.
- Inconsistent RPM surge when shifting gears.
- Clutch pedal grabs too low or too high.
3.Practice Transmission-Friendly Driving
Transmissions are incredibly robust machines. They may not be as high-maintenance as other vehicle parts, such as brakes, tires, or an engine but, it still needs some considerations to operate smoothly. These considerations include the following:
- Warm up the engine before driving.
- When parking a vehicle, employ the emergency parking brake before shifting into park.
- Avoid stop-and-go traffic whenever possible.
- Don’t overstress the engine. Overworking a vehicle’s engine can cause damage to the transmission. Avoid towing with your car or truck, and don’t exceed a vehicle’s towing capacity.
Automatic Transmission Care While Driving
- Put the vehicle in neutral while idling. Anytime a vehicle is idling, try to keep it out of gear by shifting to neutral. This could be while stopped at a red light, or when waiting in line at a drive-thru, or when dropping off a passenger.
- Don’t change gears will moving. Only change gears when the vehicle is at a complete stop.
Manual Transmission Care While Driving
- Practice engine braking. Engine braking in a manual car allows for excessive wear and tear on multiple engine components to be avoided. Additionally, it’s a way to reduce fuel consumption.
- Always press the clutch pedal before shifting gears. Improper shifting practices while operating a manual vehicle can be damaging.
4.Perform Routine Vehicle Maintenance
Regular and seasonal maintenance of your vehicle will go a long way to keep its transmission running smoothly. Transmissions are closely connected with several of a car’s operating systems. By keeping all systems in your truck, SUV, motorcycle or car well-maintained, the vehicle’s transmission will also remain in peak condition for longer.
Some engine systems have a more significant impact on the health of a transmission than others. Below are examples of different vehicle routine maintenance tasks that offer multiple benefits to the entire engine:
An engine’s cooling system helps keep its transmission’s gearbox from overheating, in addition to keeping the engine cool.
Improper wheel alignment puts strain on a vehicle’s transmission. Keeping a vehicle’s wheels aligned will prevent unnecessary wear and tear from occurring.
For those in the Greater Victoria Area, schedule regular maintenance appointments at our garage for guaranteed results and trustworthy service.
5.Resolve Troubles Quickly
Not all transmission repairs are terribly expensive, especially when they’re caught before becoming a serious problem. For example, repairing the source of leaking fluids is often straightforward.
However, suppose fluid levels become too low before repairs are made. In that case, the lack of fluid may ultimately destroy a transmission.
A good rule of thumb to keep a transmission operational for as long as possible is to take the vehicle in for repair as soon as a problem is suspected.
Visit Howie’s Car Corral for Transmission Repair and Maintenance Services
At the Car Corral, we offer comprehensive mechanic services to keep your ride on the road and safe. Our highly trained, trusted, and licensed technicians can accurately diagnose suspected transmission troubles and help find a solution that will fit your needs and budget. Call the service department at 250-590-5199 to book an appointment.